When you first get your braces, our orthodontist, Dr. Michele Renick, and our team will talk with you about how to protect and care for your braces. However, accidents can happen and at Renick Orthodontics, we understand that. If you experience an orthodontic emergency in Sunbury, Ohio, or a neighboring area do not panic! Instead, call our office as soon as possible at 740-936-5003, even if you have a regular appointment scheduled soon. We will be able to determine if you need to be seen ASAP or can wait until your regular appointment.
If you are traveling from out-of-state and are in treatment, we will see you if you have an emergency as long as we can contact your treating orthodontist to inquire about the treatment plan. We don’t believe that anyone should be in pain or discomfort, so please feel free to call us.
Not everything constitutes an emergency. Anything that causes pain IS an emergency. At no time do we want any of our patients to experience pain or discomfort. There are things that you can do at home to ease any discomfort until you can be seen in the office, and we can give you additional ideas when you call. We set aside time in our schedule for emergency visits. These will be offered to you when you call. After-hours emergency visits are available as well at an additional charge.
- Use wax and place it on the offending wire until you can be seen.
- Clip the wire yourself with a nail clipper IF AND ONLY IF you can access it safely and can grip the wire securely and are comfortable doing so.
- Use a pencil eraser to tuck the wire in if the wire is a steel tie or ligature tie. This may actually fix the issue and the patient does not need to be seen.
- Warm salt water rinses are palliative and will help resolve irritations from the wire.
- Slide the wire back into the tube with a tweezer if possible.
BROKEN BRACKETS or BANDS
- When brackets break, they usually just slide back and forth without causing discomfort because they are still attached to the wire. This is NOT an emergency, BUT, please CALL THE OFFICE IMMEDIATELY so that we can schedule a repair appointment to keep treatment on track. Delay in repair will extend treatment time.
- Loose bands should be left on the tooth if possible and pushed down into place. If the band is uncomfortable, it can be removed with fingers and slid off the wire. The wire will need to be clipped if you choose this option.
- CALL THE OFFICE IMMEDIATELY and push it back into place. Delay may lead to irreparable breakage and make the difference between recementing the band and having to replace it completely.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT EMERGENCIES:
- MOUTHGUARDS prevent breakage during sports. We provide special orthodontic mouthguards designed for patients in treatment.
- FOLLOW FOOD GUIDELINES! Breakage is directly cause and effect. All sticky and hard foods need to be avoided. At the start of treatment, the staff will review what can and cannot be eaten. This type of breakage is 100% avoidable.
- KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.
If you experience these or any other types of orthodontic emergencies in the Sunbury, Ohio, area or any of the surrounding areas, we encourage you to call our orthodontist and helpful team as soon as possible. We are here to provide the care you need!